Salmon fish heads (King or red salmon)
1. Thoroughly clean and cut the fish heads – remove the gills.
2. Cut fish heads in half, washing thoroughly to remove all the blood and let soak in cold freshwater for one hour.
3. Layer the bottom of the bucket with rock salt. Place a single layer of fish head pieces on the bottom of the bucket and cover completely with rock salt.
4. Repeat process of layering fish heads with salt until the top of the bucket is reached.
5. Add cold water up to the brim and store in a cool shed, away from direct sunlight.
Recipe from the late Alice Nick, Togiak. Originally listed in The Togiak School Cookbook.