Pebble permitting: What you need to know

Posted on | Back to Posts

The Pebble project is currently in the permitting process. The lead agency, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps), has begun work on an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS). The EIS is a decision-making tool that lays out the positive and negative environmental effects of a proposed action. Every EIS includes alternative actions, including the impact of a “no action alternative.”

For most projects of this size and nature, the permitting process is expected to take about three to four years. For the Pebble project, the Corps has released an aggressive permitting schedule that anticipates the final step – the Record of Decision – to be complete within 24 months.

The public will have two opportunities to comment during the Corps’ process:

  • Scoping Period – Now through June 29. Submit a comment to tell the Corps what it should include in the draft EIS. Be specific with your concerns or your comment will not be considered “substantive.” You can include information about how land and resources could be affected by the project, what kinds of alternatives could be considered to minimize impact, and any other issues or concerns you have.
  • EIS Draft – Once the EIS is drafted, the public will get a chance to review it and comment. The Corps anticipates being done with the draft in early 2019.

How to comment

You may submit your comment online at or submit by mail to: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Alaska District Program manager, Regulatory Division ATTN: DA Permit Application 2017-271, Pebble Limited Partnership, P.O. Box 6898, Joint Base Elemendorf-Richardson, Alaska, 99506-0898.

Pebble Watch – your resource for impartial information

The BBNC Land Department developed the Pebble Watch program in 2010 to provide shareholders with fact-based information on the science, permitting and regulatory actions related to the proposed Pebble mine. Visit to browse helpful resources, sign up for a regular newsletter and link to our Facebook page, or call the Land Department with your questions at (907) 278-3602.