The Cultural Heritage Program goal is to engage BBNC shareholders and descendants in a wide range of educational activities that promote, preserve and celebrate our Alaska Native cultural heritage and way of life. $1,000-$5,000 awards are available to eligible Bristol Bay entities for Place Names and Cultural Heritage projects that are educational and promote, preserve or celebrate Alaska Native cultural heritage.
Projects typically fall within the following categories.
- Preservation, practice and teaching Native languages of Bristol Bay.
- Native knowledge, history, skills and practices.
- Cultural activities, traditions, subsistence, traditional arts and crafts, dance, history.
- Documentation of traditional names of Bristol Bay communities, rivers, lakes, mountains, hills, bays, beaches and other physical features
- Stories, oral histories, research and pronunciations of traditional places
The 2017 award cycle is complete. We anticipate a new award cycle will be available in early December 2017. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to receive a notification when the application becomes available.